Tony Robbins and Peter Mallouk on
what it takes to become UNSHAKEABLE
Where do you go from failure? The most successful people in the world have recorded massive failures, and, for many of them, failure was the greatest influence in their ascent to greatness. Why?
It comes down to perspective; failure is only the end if you choose to see it that way.
We all have the power to choose. We can't control events, but we can choose what to focus on, we can choose what those events mean, and we can choose what to do now. These three decisions control our lives. So it is not the conditions of our lives, but rather the decisions that determine our destiny.
In this episode of the Tony Robbins Podcast, hosts Tony Robbins and Mary Buckheit explore how to shift your focus to being true to yourself, bouncing back from defeat, and embracing who you are.
They speak to their friend and hero, Siri Lindley. A former 2-time ITU World Champion, Siri was recently inducted to the USA Triathlon Hall of Fame. She is a Brown University graduate, and has coached field hockey and lacrosse at Ivy League schools.
In her coaching career, Siri has helped a number of Olympic and Ironman athletes win championships, including Mirinda Carfrae. While we were fascinated by her incredible success, we invited her to the podcast to learn more about her unique life experiences.
- [00:00] Tony Robbins on hunger, drive, and emotional strength
- [05:30] Introduction to Mary B
- [06:00] An introduction to Siri Lindley
- [11:20] The allure of a triathlon
- [11:40] Team sports vs. individual competition
- [12:20] Starting out ("I couldn't swim.")
- [13:28] Siri's first triathlon ("I was a disaster")
- [16:30] Failure either destroys you or drives you
- [17:50] Where does the hunger comes from?
- [19:00] Desperate to feel good; wanting to like herself
- [20:00] Keeping the fear at bay
- [22:00] From "crappy" to World No. 1
- [24:00] Lesson: "You as a human being are far more important than you as an athlete"
- [25:15] Coach Brett Sutton gets into the mind of the athlete
- [26:00] Olympic trials 2000
- [28:00] No excuses: "I choked."
- [29:55] "Impossible" training in Switzerland
- [30:50] Tony on Wantrepreneur vs. Entrepreneur
- [31:45] Training in Converse and travel clothes...in the Alps
- [34:00] "Jane supposedly sucks"...and she kicked my butt
- [35:50] Mom: "If you can't hack it, come home."
- [36:20] Everyday he was scaring me to death. It was brilliant.
- [37:20] Tony: "A belief is a poor substitute for experience ... your coach gave you an experience."
- [38:12] Champion mentality, self-sabotage, bad patterns, doubt, commitment
- [39:11] TR on the psychology of extraordinary athletes
- [39:35] Recruitment: "I saw the angel in the marble and I carved until I set it free."
- [40:25] Why failure can actually set you up for success
- [41:15] Tony Robbins on facing your fears and the analogy of sports
- [42:25] Why recruit 42nd place?